Re: [OM] Final advice needed - Metz flash or not

Subject: Re: [OM] Final advice needed - Metz flash or not
From: Pschings@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 19:53:32 EST
Cc: richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
In a message dated 12/10/2002 6:56:02 PM Eastern Standard Time,
richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

"Paul, so in this case, I'd turn the exposure compensation to +1 or so?

I am slow here, so let me think it through: since the face is burned-out,
adding more exposure means that the shutter stays open longer, and let more
ambient light in. How's that going to help to un-burn the face?

Or does it work because the background is more exposed so the flash won't
emit as much light? But I thought the flash is triggered at the beginning
of the shutter movement so it can't possibly work this way either....:

No, you want to dial in -1, so the camera quenches the flash sooner and the
face doesn't "burn out". Of course the background will be a stop darker as
well.

Paul Schings