Re: [OM] 35-70/3.6 vs 50/1.2

Subject: Re: [OM] 35-70/3.6 vs 50/1.2
From: "Paul D. Farrar" <farrar@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 20:31:28 -0600
----- Original Message -----
From: <ll.clark@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, December 06, 2002 3:58 PM

> In <01e701c29d44$42f848e0$9adc123d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, on 12/07/02
>    at 12:25 AM, "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
> So far as the two photos are concerned, I left them both on screen and
> switched back and forth between them to view the differences. Perhaps it
> is because the Web doesn't allow fine enough discriminations, but I can
> say that there is *no* discernible difference between them in sharpness
> *or* in bokeh to my eye.

Make sure your browser isn't set to scale graphics to the window (newer IEs
have that as default), so you can get the actual pixels. It's really obvious
on
my system. The 50 has what's called "bright-ring bokeh", in which an out-of-
focus point is rendered as a dim disk with a much brighter edge, similar to
the
donuts of a mirror lens. This causes lines to be doubled and gives a real
hashed-up look to backgrounds. It's often due to the rays from the outer
zone
of a lens, so it can be reduced by stopping down. The 35-70 might do the
same
thing if it could open up past 3.6!

Paul