Re: [OM] Backpack/case question.

Subject: Re: [OM] Backpack/case question.
From: Thomas Heide Clausen <T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 18:52:50 +0100
On Mon, 25 Nov 2002 08:49:27 -0800
Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > The problem with these bags are, I think, that the gear is not
> > very accessible.....
> >
> I completely agree. Backpacks are not for everyone, every
> situation. However for walking more than a few hundred meters/yards
> with more than a little gear they are the only way to go.
> Especially if the trail is rough. I just weighed the micro trekker,
> 7kg/15lbs. I could imagine that swinging around my neck as i climb
> over the rocks down to the beach.

Yeah, that would be an "outch" situation, I imagine.

> For
> any kind of serious hiking the load must be secured out of the way
> and comfortable to carry.

Question: do you think that any kind of hip-pack/belt pack would be a
decent compromise? I've seriously been considering e.g. a LowePro
Orion or some such thing. I realize that it may not be for hiking
with the very heavy gear, but for a moderate kit.

> So I just carry the camera and maybe a lens in a
> pocket and accept that I have to stop and smell the roses so to
> speak every now and then.

I find myself more and more often restricting my gear, when hiking,
to what I can carry in my pockets. That unfortunately means that the
300mm does not get as much action - I do not have pockets big enough
:(

> If Bill is packing his big glass into a
> lake for example to shoot wildlife then a backpack is the only way
> to go.

Absolutely. In the situations where the trip has one or a series of
designated "photo targets", and where heavy gear is needed (wildlife,
typically, calls for long lenses and heavy tripods) than I would also
go with a backpack.

--thomas