Re: [OM] Travel advice for Venezuela, what to bring, now insurance for c

Subject: Re: [OM] Travel advice for Venezuela, what to bring, now insurance for cameras
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 13:13:31 EST
In a message dated 11/25/02 11:07:20 AM Central Standard Time,
thomas.bryhn@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

> All went well but next time I'll
> seriously consider selling some equipment to afford a good insurance
> policy.

A personal articles floater policy, which is what you would need unless you
are a commercial/professional photographer in which case you would need a
commercial floater policy, is cheap.  The rate currently in Texas for the
company I represent is $1.34 per $100 of coverage for nonprofessional use and
$1.70 for professionals.  This assumes a location which doesn't have an alarm
system.  Locations with alarms would be slightly cheaper.  So, let's see,
$10,000 in all risk, world wide, zero deductible coverage costs $134 per
year.  More coverage would be more premium, less would be . . . you guessed
it, less premium.  Most companies will have a minimum premium, ours is $30.
This is not an offer to sell you insurance, but rather an encouragement to
pick up the phone and call the insurance agent who currently insures your
car, home, life or health to give you a quote on insuring the stuff that is
really valuable to you, as opposed to the other 4 categories I mentioned.
Bill Barber