Re: [OM] Backpack/case question.

Subject: Re: [OM] Backpack/case question.
From: "John Hudson" <13874@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 15:32:45 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: <GPaul64@xxxxxxx>
To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, 25 November, 2002 02:58 PM

T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> > The problem with these bags are, I think, that the gear is not very
> > accessible. I.e. they require that the bag be taken off, preferably
> > laid down flat on the back and zipped open.
>
> That is a hassle, I admit.  Tim Fitzharris, a columnist for Pop
Photography, recently wrote about the Lowepro "field and street" system of
belt backs to carry his p645 gear around and access it without having to
take a backpack off.  Nice idea, but I don't think it can handle a 300/2.8
like Bill is looking to haul around.

Is that the same Tim Fitzharris [born1948] who wrote The Equinox Guide to
35mm Landscape Photography" [published 1994] in which he wrote that
"Rangefinder cameras are inadequate for professional calibre landscape
photography." What a dolt! I hope his Pop Photo columns are a cut above his
Equinox diatribe!

jh

> In order to avoid dropping my pack every time I think I come across
something worth exploring, I use an empty 35mm slide frame as a composing
mask.  Holding it up to my eye allows me to get an idea if a composition
will work, and estimating the distance the mask is from eye tells me about
what size lens to try.  Using the mask, I can evaluate everything from a
24mm to 300mm field of view fairly accurately. Then, if I really think I
have something, I drop my pack and grab the right lens.