Re: [OM] Backpack/case question.

Subject: Re: [OM] Backpack/case question.
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 10:35:51 -0800
 > The problem with these bags are, I think, that the gear is not very
 accessible.....

I completely agree. Backpacks are not for everyone, every situation.
However for walking more than a few hundred meters/yards with more than
a little gear they are the only way to go. Especially if the trail is
rough. I just weighed the micro trekker, 7kg/15lbs. I could imagine that
swinging around my neck as i climb over the rocks down to the beach. For
any kind of serious hiking the load must be secured out of the way and
comfortable to carry. So I just carry the camera and maybe a lens in a
pocket and accept that I have to stop and smell the roses so to speak
every now and then. If Bill is packing his big glass into a lake for
example to shoot wildlife then a backpack is the only way to go. Also
anyone with a bad back will need a balanced load and not weight on one
shoulder. Of course on a backpacking trip it's one body and two lenses,
max.

Mike

A waist belt bag with a strap is not at all like your description. The strap just stabilizes the bag so that it does not bounce. It does not carry all the weight. They are certainly nice for changing lenses, accessing filters, film etc. without taking it off and putting it down.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California