Re: [OM] T-32 question

Subject: Re: [OM] T-32 question
From: "Jim L'Hommedieu" <lamadoo@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 01:33:14 -0500
I'll field this one.  The T32 by itelf will cover a 28mm-70 lens at all
focal lengths but not the 24mm lens.  When everything's correctly set and
working (grin), you'll have through the lens flash exposure even as wide as
28mm.  With E.I. 100 film, (and assuming an 8 foot white ceiling) you
working distances at f/5.6 are given here in feet:
2.2 -- 18 feet

Naturally, if you are shooting EI 400 film, you get more working distance.
At f/5.6 again, in feet, you can use these distances (still assuming an 8
foot white ceiling):
4.5 -- 36 feet

Of course, these are funny numbers cause it's unlikey that ond would shoot
from 36 feet away in a room with an 8 foot white ceiling.  If you have a
great distance like this, you may be shooting in an auditorium or gymnasium
and the actual working distances are shorter because you aren't getting
'fill' from spraying light all over a reflective ceiling.

The Zoom Adapter will not help you get wider coverage because it
concentrates the light into ever narrower beams.  If you like the T32 well
enough to consider a accessory to 'cover' the 24mm field of view, the
Olympus "Wide Adapter/ND Filter Set" includes a diffuser panel that's said
to provide coverage for a 21mm lens.  (Refernce the e-SIF disc.  Yes, I made
the appropriate donation.)  The paper instruction sheet says the same thing.

Here's an example to illustrate just how small the advantage of the Zoom
Adapter is.  If  you were to adjust your zoom anywhere between 50 mm and
70mm, add the Zoom Adapter and adjust it to 50mm, your working distances in
feet are:
2.6 -- 21
(E.I. 100, 8 foot ceiling, f/5.6)

The Zoom Adapter has 4 settings: 50mm coverage, 75mm coverage, 100mm
coverage, and 135mm coverage.  What it means is that the 75mm coverage would
leave the corners of your 70mm zoom darker.  Unless you can live with that,
you don't want to use it at that setting.

My source of information on the T32 is Carl Shipman's book, "How to Select
and Use Olympus SLR Cameras".

Hope this helps rather than confuses.  Let me know.

Lama