Re: [OM] 50mm f2 vs 3.5

Subject: Re: [OM] 50mm f2 vs 3.5
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 13:48:01 +0800
"M. Lloyd" wrote:

> If you can find and afford the 50/2 macro over the
> 50/3.5 I would definitely recommend it over the 3.5
> version. I find no degradation in image quality for my
> 50/2 throughout the range and with standard 4x6. 8x10
> and larger there is only a very slight loss of image
> quality wide open and I really need a loupe to see it.
> The good (or bad thing) about the 50/2 is that it is
> an Awfully sharp lens with high contrast and thus not
> very flattering.

The "no degradation" you experience I think mainly due to high
sharpness of this lens. I have no formal test run on this lens, but I
can feel the resolution do suffer wide open. I found the high
sharpness also cause some problem on proving good tonal rendering, to
me the skin tone from the 50/3.5 looks much better.

> But for every other purpose I've used it for I have
> been pleased by the exceptional results I've gotten
> from this lens and can safely say it is one of the
> lenses that stays nearly permanently welded to an OM
> body. As a normal lens its great and has supplanted my
> two 50/1.8 lenses and my single 1.4 except for very
> low light shots. Unlike the 50/3.5, which darkens the
> focusing aid of 1-13 screens at 1:2 macro this lens
> remains bright and sharp.

That is why I always have a Minolta acute matte on my OM4, it provide
bright view even with a 3.5 lens and there is no other "focusing aid"
(I consider obstacle) besides the matte screen and it also has grid
for better alignment.

> Colors seem to come out much
> bolder than any other of my Zuikos as well and angles
> and regions of major contrast are very clearly
> accentuated.

I also agree the color of 50/3.5 is stronger (but I won't say "much")
than some other Zuikos (except the 90/2) but the color is unbiased and
great since the contrast is not that high it gives some balance here.

That is also my own feel, I know it differs with people and their
shooting style.

C.H.Ling