Re: [OM] 50mm f2 vs 3.5

Subject: Re: [OM] 50mm f2 vs 3.5
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 19:38:48 -0800
OK, so I read lots of responses, but none asked what you plan to use it for.

I have a couple of 50/3.5 Zuikos. I use them almost exclusively on a copy stand at f8, or occasionally f11 or 16, for depth of field. If I had a 50/2, I would do the same thing, as shutter speed isn't an issue and I want DOF to cover any lack of perfect alignment of the stand, flatness of the subject and focusing accuracy. Assuming you've looked at the Gary Reese test data Tom T. put in his reply, you will see that a 50/2 offers no real improvement for this task. What isn't shown in Gary's tests is performance at a repro ratio other than 1:40. I suspect that the 2 Zuiko 50mms would be comparable at the ratios I use, but don't really know. Are they sharper at 1:5 than 1:40? Who knows?

If you are planning to use the macro as a general purpose lens, the larger max aperture of the f2 could be an advantage for selective DOF. For portraits, the slightly softer performance of the 50/2 wide open might be an advantage over the 50/3.5 (and the Nikkor 55/2.8), as most people don't like razor edged skin imperfections.

For me, the macro does what it was designed for, close-up work, and the 50/1.4 (serial > 1,100,000) does whatit was designed for, general photography. The 50/2 is bigger and heavier than either of the regular 50mms, almost twice as heavy as a 50/1.8. In the examples Gary tested, the 50/1.4, serial > 1,100,000, is as sharp or sharper than the 50/2 at all apertures but f8 (and it's still A-). I should note that Gary has since said that he doesn't think the results for the 50/2 at f2 and f2.8 are representative, that his later experience is that they are generally sharper than his test at wide apertures.

Moose

Albert wrote:

I lust after the 50mm f2, but was wondering, does it's cheaper f3.5 brother give as sharp of an image?

I've read about the f2, it's legendary, but I don't know much about the 3.5.

Someone enlighten me.

Albert