Re: [OM] fill flash - am I missing something?

Subject: Re: [OM] fill flash - am I missing something?
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 16:53:10 -0400
> I will try to guess why he says to set shutter speed
> at 1/30 or slower in manual. In a camera in good working
> condition the shutter curtains would be completely open
> at 1/60s, so 1/60 should be ok for manual flash. But
> with usage the shutter may not actually fire at 1/60
> when the dial is set to 1/60, and there is the possibity
> that the curtains may not be fully open. However unless
> unless there is something terribly wrong with the camera
> 1/30 or slower is a safe bet. Again, thats only my guess,
> there could be other reasons too.
>
> -Tim

Maybe, but if the camera is off-timing in manual, wouldn't it also be
off-timing in auto, so you'd really be doomed with ttl as you can't get
anything but 1/60 (unless you do the tape trick).
Maybe I just want to think Shipman was as confused as I am sometimes.
If you're right, it makes the OM2000 look even better if its a 1/125 sync as
opposed to 1/30.
I'm starting to think ttl on the PC and 2s is mostly for snapshots around
the house, providing its quite dark and you have 100iso film in so the flash
is sure to go off. But that's where simple auto flash works pretty well too.
At least with auto flash you can set the aperture basically where you want
by varying the flash power (as on t32), rather than being forced to turn the
aperture to where the ambient light and film speed combo gives you 1/30 in
the viewfinder.
If I ever do a wedding again, or for other serious stuff, I think I'll stick
with everything on manual.
Wayne