Re: [OM] fill flash - am I missing something?

Subject: Re: [OM] fill flash - am I missing something?
From: "Tim Chakravorty" <suchismit@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 21:43:25 -0800
----- Original Message -----
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, November 04, 2002 5:35 PM

> Thanks, Tim. Seems like the book should make it that simple.

You are welcome ! Yeah, thats a great book.

> Another question then, if the flash sync speed is 1/60 ttl, why does Carl
> Shipman in his book say to "set shutter speed to1/30 or slower" when using
> manual operation or normal auto operation (page 97, 98, 10th edition)?

Syn speed is automatically set to 1/60 only in ttl AUTO mode. In manual mode
there
is no ttl metering. Flash will fire at full ouput , and you will have to
determine exposure
by cumbersome flash-distance/aperture calculations. If shutter speed is above
1/60
in manual mode, only PART of the frame will be exposed by the flash.  1/60
or below only ensures that the full frame is illuminated by flash, but it does
not
guarantee correct exposure. You can refer to a mail I sent earlier today with
the subject " Re: [OM] T32 question"

 The lower the shutter speed the higher the ambient light in the image. A
friend of mine even tried
flash exposure in 'B' mode. He hand held the flash (not connected to the
camera) and with the shutter
open pressed the Test button. Interesting effect !

-Tim

Is he