Re: [OM] fill flash - am I missing something?

Subject: Re: [OM] fill flash - am I missing something?
From: "Tim Chakravorty" <suchismit@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 18:19:30 -0800
The problem with the OMs (except 3Ti/4Ti) is that for ttl auto, they sync at
1/60 and *only* at 1/60. Period.
If for the selected aperture, the shutter speeds works out to less than
1/60(for ambient light), the camera sets it to 1/60.
If more, the flash doesn't fire. Thats a serious limitation as far as chosing
depth of field is concerned, and also for
hand held photography with longer lenses if you want a good deal of ambient
light in the mix.
I think in one of the older OMs ttl auto allowed speeds lower than 1/60, ie it
would keep the shutter open even after
the flash fired but failed to acheive adequate exposure. but this quickly
drained batteries so Olympus dropped it later.
Even for tripod mounted shots with a relatively high ambient/flash, ratio 1/60
is too low to 'freeze' movement. Its
OK for people, but a lot of my shots from the Chicago zoo turned out soft
because of this.

-Tim