Re: [OM] Re: continuous spot

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: continuous spot
From: Johnny Johnson <jjohnso4@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2002 11:49:15 -0500
At 08:13 AM 11/5/02 -0800, Dan Lau wrote:

Though we can argue about how many angels can dance on the head of
a pin, but just how useful would "continuous spot" be in real life
if it were available?
        -Dan

Hi Dan,

Here's how it works (I believe) on my OM-4 and how I sometimes use it when shooting landscapes. I look for an "18 0ray" area in the scene and spot meter on it. Then I move the spot to the highlight and shadow areas in the scene and note the high and low readings of the "dancing" indicator. That gives me an idea of which parts of the scene will be washed out and which parts will go to black at my chosen exposure setting. You can then use the compensation dial to move the exposure up or down, if you desire, to bring out more details in either the highlights or shadows.

Later,
Johnny