Re: [OM] Re: continuous spot

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: continuous spot
From: Dan Lau <dlau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 08:13:21 -0800 (PST)
On Tue, 5 Nov 2002 11:00, "Roger D. Key" <rdk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>It seems to me that to use 'continuous' spot metering on an OM-4(T) in
>auto, you need to press the spot button first. That spot reading will then
>be averaged with the 'continuous' spot reading when you then press the
>shutter release. So the first spot reading should preferably be the same as
>the second spot reading.

>In manual mode one can just set aperture/speed  after the 'continuous'
>spot.

>Any better ideas?

Maybe I missed the definition of "continuous spot".  To my way of
thinking, once you use the "manual" mode to set the aperture/speed,
it is no longer "continuous".  You have frozen a particular spot
reading and transferred it to the manual settings.

Even in "auto" mode, as Roger said, pressing the shutter makes an
average of two spots (unless the two spots are identical spots) and
freezes them into the shutter setting during exposure (am I correct
that OTF is not used when using spot readings?).  So where does the
"continuous" part come in?

I think the only way "continuous spot" can work is if there is a
spot sensor in the OTF metering.  Then it would continue to measure
the light at that center spot and average it with the fixed spot
readings during exposure.

Though we can argue about how many angels can dance on the head of
a pin, but just how useful would "continuous spot" be in real life
if it were available?
        -Dan