RE: [OM] [OT] Pentax DSLR Announced

Subject: RE: [OM] [OT] Pentax DSLR Announced
From: Mike Veglia <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 09:54:29 -0700
In a message dated 10/20/2002 Tom Trottier writes:

<< Why do you need much computing power when you take a pic? >>

When actually taking the pic, you don't. However, you do require ultra-fast
image file processing buffer space, and final storage. The Full Frame DSLRs
are being markected specifically as "studio cameras" with burst rates of
3fps (fast enough to suit me--way too slow for most sports shooters I know
though) with an 8 frame buffer. The files, even if saved as JPEGs, will be
large. Take your fastest means of transer on your desktop machine (USB II or
Firewire I suppose) and see how long it takes to move, say, 80MB of stuff.
Now, miniturize that into a camera body with the same speed, without adding
noise to the file. (Never mind that clocking the stuff out of the imager as
fast as desire also adds noise, or so I understand it.) Field shooters are
tending to shun the microdrives. 512MB CF cards are much more desirable.
Can't get very many 11-14 megapixel images on a 512MB CF card though.

This is why the NikCanDak (and FujSig) are all still advancing the "kludges"
for field (especially sports) use. The DSLR marketplace is still in a very
early stage of development. Olympus and others who wish to jump in the 4/3
standard do still have a chance and the end of next year is not really "too
late" at all. There are still a whole bunch of folks who still shoot a whole
bunch of film that have not yet 100 0.000000e+00mbraced digital.

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com