RE: [OM] [OT] Pentax DSLR Announced

Subject: RE: [OM] [OT] Pentax DSLR Announced
From: "tOM Trottier" <Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 02:39:16 -0400
On Saturday, October 19, 2002 at 9:07, Winsor Crosby <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote re "RE: [OM] [OT] Pentax DSLR Announced" saying:
> >Fast forward to 2003. DSLRs for field use (sports, journalism, nature
> >work, etc.) will still in the "kludge" mode. The new breed of full-frame
> >sensor DSLRs are really only suitable (and promoted as such by their
> >makers) for studio use where a mondo-memory dual processor computer with
> >the computing horsepower of a top fuel dragster is nearby. I don't see
> >that changing anytime soon for the full frame DSLRs. DSLRs in general
> >are still in their infancy. Admittedly, though, technology time marches
> >far faster than the mechanical 35mm SLR era of the early 1970s.

I see it happening much sooner, mainly because hard drives like the IBM
microdrive are getting cheaper, faster, and more capacious at a faster rate
than imaging chips. Why do you need much computing power when you take a pic?

For more storage, just build into the camera a fast bluetooth or 802.11x
transceiver and backup/store in a pocket hard disk like
http://www.harddiskinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.asp?newsID=498

> >I think what unfolds in the DSLR world over the next year or two could
> >be very interesting...
> >
> >Mike Veglia
> >Motor Sport Visions Photography
> >http://www.motorsportvisions.com
>
> I am not sure I agree whole heartedly, Mike.  Just a couple of
> points.  My impressions that the "kludge" cameras are not that much
> bigger than the pro system film cameras that are already being used.
> So there is not really a big adjustment to be made there.  The
> computer would also be needed for a smaller Olympus with the same
> number of megapixels.  Fewer megapixels will not sell. So that does
> not seem to be an option.  Olympus has already announced that they
> are not committed to building a pro system around their new body.
> They want others to do that.  Since the others are going the "kludge"
> route because they do not want to commit to new lens systems either,
> or they have tried it and are hoping that coming out with the
> "kludge" will stimulate sales. I would guess that they are not
> willing to make lenses for the Olympus if their own efforts have not
> been an overwhelming success.  An APS standard took the whole
> industry working together. Oly is not going to do it.  Nikon and
> Canon together might have pulled it off. So I think that Oly is going
> to come out with an E20, priced like the competition, with one lens,
> a removable zoom, and people are going to say, "Huh?"

Olympus is really pushing the sharpness advantage of lenses designed for
digital that send the light down more vertically to the imaging chip.

We'll see if they can pull it off.

tOM
------- Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur -----------------
   ,__@ tOM A. Trottier +1 613 860-6633 fax:231-6115
 _-\_<, 758 Albert St.,Ottawa ON Canada K1R 7V8
(*)/'(*)        ICQ:57647974 N45.412 W75.714