Wireless and your DC (was: Re: [OM] [OT] Pentax DSLR Announced)

Subject: Wireless and your DC (was: Re: [OM] [OT] Pentax DSLR Announced)
From: VS <VS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 12:02:38 +1000
In message <005201c2782d$1c690020$9501a8c0@inspiron>, "Tom Scales" writes:

[snipped some ideas on how to transfer files from your DC to a storage
device]

>I run 802.11a and 802.11b in my home.  802.11a is 72megabits!

Uhum, and it has a long range as well. Which could cause some amusement
in certain scenarios.

Imagine every pro sports photog is using latest and greatest mondo-DC
and is beaming their photos straight to their notebook that acts as an
access point with a fast Internet access so that all their photos go
straight to the editor in almost real time. Sounds good, doesn't it? Now
imagine there's more than one photog with such equipment. RF is fairly
limited in it's capacity and all of a sudden transfer rates fall even
lower. Ok, so we'll cache data in the camera. How much cache should we
use? Enough for 10 photos? More?

Now image you get the golden shot. Out of all the photogs at the let's
say tennis court, you get a photo that has front page written all over
it (not literally speaking). Imagine all your competitors envying you,
and you go home happy as larry knowing that you've just scored your long
deserving raise. And the next day, when you rock in at work, with a big
grin on your face your editors awaits you at your desk and tells you to
get packing, you've just been fired for stealing your competitor's
work.

But how? you ask?

Well, people love digital because is easy to manipulate. Your competitor
brought along his computer wiz that stole images that were thrown into
the ether and saved them on his laptop for his perusal in case he
doesn't get the best shot. Then, he rushed the photos to his editor who
included them in the evening edition of the newspaper.

How will you prove the photos were really made by you?

There's many ways one could go on about encryption, digital watermarks,
etc, etc. Do camera makers want to do all that? I don't think so.

Ok, I'm off my soap box.

Cheers,

Saso