RE: [OM] [OT] Pentax DSLR Announced

Subject: RE: [OM] [OT] Pentax DSLR Announced
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 12:57:01 -0700

Not so fast! First of all, all things considered, since I don't have any film glass that I can move to a DSLR system (assuming even the Zuikos on the 4/3 systems would be at best stopgap measure), I would much rather have a smaller system, than a big system like the Kodak/Nikon/Canon. So I want you to be right!

But this aberration may or may not have to do with the sensor size. I think the jury us still out of this. For example, looks like the Sigma SD9 also has some problems and the x3 is a smaller sensor! See this thread: <http://www.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1027&message=3611494>

What the Canon 1D shows already though, is that there are significantly more details to be have when you move to a 10-14 megapixel system. In the ideal case, a camera manufacturer needs to have a line of interchangable lens system with SAME sensor size but w/ different resolution so that the lens magnification factor is constant across the lines. This wouldn't make sense on a full size sensor, would it?

// richard <http://www.imagecraft.com>

But then again you could use the much less expensive system of disposable sensors that have no angular color aberration problems. They come 36 to a roll.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California