Re: [OM] Fragility of flashes

Subject: Re: [OM] Fragility of flashes
From: "Michael" <moc63@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 11:20:53 +1000
----- Original Message -----
From: <plp@xxxxxxxx>
To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, October 11, 2002 5:48 AM
Subject: [OM] Fragility of flashes

> While we're discussing discontinued lenses and the lack of
> spare parts, what about flashes?  Are they especially fragile?
> When they break, is it usually the bulb (sorry, I do not know
> the proper term)?  If the bulb breaks, is the flash unit then
> a doorstop?
>

> Pete
>
>From my experiences with defective T series flashes (I suppose most flashes
behave similarly) is that the large, high voltage capacitor is the most
problematic part of the electrical side.  I have had a few T series flashes
die on me and in every case it has been the large capacitor.

I also purchased an F280 from a list member and it would not fire, although
it sounded as if it was charging when it was turned on.  Again it was the
capacitor.

My worst experience was with a T8 flash and T1 controller sitting on my 3ti.
I set the macro flash  up and went outside to photograph some beautiful
flowers that had opened up that morning.  I put the camera to my eye and
before I could even focus, the T1 went off with a ferocious bang ( it is now
touching my forehead) and almost made me drop the lot with fright.  I still
get the shakes when I think about it.

The damage.  The T1 large capacitor had ruptured and in turn had destroyed
both circuit boards inside the T1, or maybe it was the other way around, I
will never know.  Also the T8 flash ring tube was found to be not firing
consistently at the T1 output voltage.  This apparently is common as the
tubes age and there is an output voltage adjuster inside the T1 to
compensate for this but as I also have a T10 and T28 I did not want to risk
damage to these by altering the T1.  A very frightening and expensive
morning.

>From this I learned that spare parts for these flashes are getting harder to
find and they are very expensive.  Also I was pleased and amazed that the
camera was not damaged in any way.

Michael.