Re: [OM] Fragility of flashes

Subject: Re: [OM] Fragility of flashes
From: Steve Goss <stevegoss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 20:35:06 -0500
clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

It's very rare for the flash tube to fracture -- at least on most

I had one burn out. It was in the mid 80's with a flash from the early 70's. It had a socket to plug in a power cord straight from the wall, so you could charge it within a few seconds.

We were doing a haunted house, and were short on strobe lights, so I rigged the flash up instead of a strobe light, and used a slave trigger that was next to a strobe light to trigger the flash. The strobe light would fire 6 to 10 times before the flash would fire, but the flash was brighter. I'm not sure how long it lasted, but at the end of the night, it was dead.

It may not have been the tube that gave out. The tube appears to be one piece, but the reflector behind it is definitely melted.

Thanks, Steve Goss, Dallas Tx usa