Re: [OM] Fragility of flashes

Subject: Re: [OM] Fragility of flashes
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 16:46:25 -0500
It's very rare for the flash tube to fracture -- at least on most
flashes/cameras (certain newer "plastic fantastic" cameras are the
exception).  With a great deal of use, they will "burn out", but even
that's rather unusual.

The shoes of the Olympus T-Flashes are designed to break before the
camera does -- a good design feature, if you think about it.  Better the
shoe break than the camera, right?  By comparison, Olympus ran out of
shoes for the old QuickAuto 310 long before they used up all the spare
flash tubes -- which I suspect will happen to the T-flashes, too, if
anyone will want one repaired in 10 years....