Re: [OM] 35mm film lost the battle against digital ?

Subject: Re: [OM] 35mm film lost the battle against digital ?
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2002 12:12:08 +0800
Actually both, the resolution of film is not as high as we have seen
from the figure. Test in resolution means people can "just" identify
the lines, it could be less than 10% MTF not clean and sharp lines.
Check the photodo result for 40lpmm MTF you will also see, most lenses
especially the wide angles and zooms get very low score at the edges
and some even close to zero, that mean the resolution is below 40lpmm
at the edges.

Another point people missed is film need many particles (grain) to
give a good color reproduction, a single particles will not work. A
few particles may let you identify it is a line pair but it will not
give you say 256 gradation. On the other hand a CCD pixel will
theoretically give you 12 bit gradation (higher end DCs). I would say
10MP is already giving a challenge to the lens design, you need a very
good lens to maximise the system performance, e.g. 60lpmm resolving
power of a lens also means they give you "just" identifiable lines,
you will not happy with this.

C.H.Ling