Re: [OM] 35mm film lost the battle against digital ?

Subject: Re: [OM] 35mm film lost the battle against digital ?
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 20:21:04 -0700
It is rather strange, I have never seen a lens tested over 100lpmm in
Pop photo (some recent 10 year's lens test ) and Modern Photography
at:

http://brashear.phys.appstate.edu/lhawkins/photo/mp-zuiko-tests.txt

I have made a test on some Zuikos ten years ago, with the following
lenses tested only the 50/3.5 at F5.6 can resolve to 70lpmm:

16/3.6
24/2
35/2
50/1.4 S/N 3xx,xxx
50/3.5
85/2
135/2.8

Test target: CCITT chart for fax and photocopier.
Illumination: T32 at 45% to target.
OM4Ti on tripod, cable release.
Film: Fuji Velvia
Projection: Leica 255 with Colorplan P2 90/2.5 (project to 100 inch)
Microscope: M6x+WF10 eyepieces.
Apertures tested only wide open and F5.6

C.H.Ling

I was kind of surprised at those resolution figures too. Usually 70 to 80 lines per mm is considered very fine performance for a lens in published tests. I have never seen results with 100 lines per mm.

That raises an interesting point though. Since the resolution of film seems to be much higher than existing lens designs perhaps to focus on CCD resolution equaling film resolution is incorrect. The limiting factor is the lens, not the film. Perhaps all that is needed is a CCD that can capture the resolution of the lens as film already does and the results will be indistinguishable between the two systems.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California