Re: [OM] madness! thinking of ditching an OM for a c@non?

Subject: Re: [OM] madness! thinking of ditching an OM for a c@non?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 20:05:15 -0500
At 23:24 9/27/02, Acer wrote:
9/27/2002 8:58:29 PM, NSURIT@xxxxxxx wrote:

i'm thinking of giving m'self a b'day gift (i am an OLD geezer today; only a few more years and i get senior citizen discounts everywhere! the middle ages have to the worst; stuck between "student discount" and "senior discount").... anyway, giving m'self a bday gift of... get ready...

a C@n0n QLIII 17!

and selling off an OM1n chrome w/ 50/1.4mc body cap to fund it!

HERESY! STONE the infidel!

Not as insane as you might think. There are some reasons they were successful; some are related to lens work and others are their ease of use. I believe if you poll the list you'll find a number of RF's out there too, and not necessarily OM's. I have six camera bodies, two of which are not SLR's. The Rollei 35 and Contax IIIa each have their niche in what I do with them all, and do have some advantages over the 35mm and MF SLR's in some situations. One of the best portraits I've ever made was shot in a studio using the Contax IIIa with a cyan filter and Scala 200X. Next one for me (aside from more MF lenses and more powerful monolights)? Likely a Yashicamat 124g; would like a Rolleiflex, but don't want to spend that much $$ on a TLR.

-- John