Re: [OM] Digital photography article

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital photography article
From: iwert <zuiko@xxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 22:37:32 +0200
> I'm sorry to be negative 2 emails in a row, but I cannot see how
> digitals can be worthwhile buying at present.  The small cheap ones
> are, well, small and cheap; they lack storage and quality as you
> imply.  The more sophisticated ones still lack the quality that their
> prices warrant (or vice versa).  And they are all obsolescent as you
> walk out of the shop door with them.
>
> I accept that Tom and Mickey have found a use for their E10s or 20s,
> but it would gall me to buy something for over £1000 sterling (in
> this country) only for it to be superseded and worthless within 6-8
> months.  That is one reason that I have a Mac: it remains usable for
> longer than its Intel (et al) based counterpart.
>
> Chris

I have to disagree with you,

I now a first generation digital ixus (elph) for 2 years, it has served me
very well and I have taken approx. tenthousand pictures with it. I am still
satisfied with its quality (it is not an OM, and I have to admit that I
extended my OM system only more during these two years) for what I use it.
Mainly snapshots of interesting details, candid photography in buildings
where it is not allowed to take pictures, family photo's. During my three
month stay in Japan it served very well as a documentation utility studying
japanese society, architecture, calligraphy, papermaking and bookbinding. I
could have done this with the OM system (and I have done with very nice
results), but the sheer amount of information and the immediate result was
really undoable without a digital camera... I am not talking about
Photography with a capital P here btw. however they turned out to be rather
usefull. The images were downloaded and catalogued on a mac powerbook (just
to please you) and I bought an extra memory card (as cheap/expensive as
about 25 rolls of quality film) so about 250 images fitted in one go. The
accu's lasted just for about a day after which I could always reload.
A digital may be obsolescent to you, but has its good side as well! However
since I bought mine I never felt tempted to buy a newer one, since this
simply meets my needs.

Iwert