Re: [OM] lens discussion - N*k*n etc

Subject: Re: [OM] lens discussion - N*k*n etc
From: Roger Wesson <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 14:16:07 +0100

....handholding is strictly for dead photographers: a human pulse beat will cause 200 microns (about 0.008 inch) displacement for 1/10th second. Assuming a shutter speed of 1/250th sec., this movement alone will cause a 220ss of resolution with a system that is otherwise capable of reproducing 100 lines-per-mm (lpm). And at a shutter speed of 1/125th sec., this performance would degrade
to only 53 lpm-a 47% waste of what you purchased ....

Wow. I wonder how Galen Rowell got those incredibly sharp granite wall shots hanging from a rope.

And also how Yann-Arthus Bertrand got his shots from the air. They're sharp enough to be very sharp even when printed to approximately 3' by 2'. Vibrations in small planes and helicopters far exceed my heartbeat!

Roger