Re:[OM] lens discussion - N*k*n etc

Subject: Re:[OM] lens discussion - N*k*n etc
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 21:11:07 -0700
At 06:10 PM 9/17/2002 -0700, Tim Chakravorty wrote:
Again , its important that for best quality you shoot from a sturdy tripod. Here is an extract from John B. Williams's
'Image Clarity' pg 191.
"
....handholding is strictly for dead photographers: a human pulse beat will cause 200 microns (about 0.008 inch) displacement for 1/10th second. Assuming a shutter speed of 1/250th sec., this movement alone will cause a 220ss of resolution with a system that is otherwise capable of reproducing 100 lines-per-mm (lpm). And at a shutter speed of 1/125th sec., this performance would degrade
to only 53 lpm-a 47% waste of what you purchased ....

Wow. I wonder how Galen Rowell got those incredibly sharp granite wall shots hanging from a rope.

What you also purchased was a portable camera designed to be hand held. If it were designed primarily to be supported by a tripod I think it would look completely different. So the flip side is that if you only used it supported you are wasting the hand held capability that built into it.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California