Re: [OM] Life style change coming up

Subject: Re: [OM] Life style change coming up
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 22:58:02 -0500
Chuck,
Around where I live and knowing several local full-time "pros" the bread and butter is in weddings, portraiture and K-12 sports.

Weddings are a well-known entity. These can be grueling but are very efficient revenue generators. IOW there's a lot of film burned in about 6-7 hours. I've seen two major business models for this. One delivers a proof book of 150-300 proofs (4x6, 4x5 or 5x5) the bride/groom keep with re-orders and enlargements at additional (and profitable) cost. The other presents proofs that cannot be kept, but from which set numbers of 4x6 (or 4x5 or 5x5), 5x7 and 8x10 prints can be selected to build a completed album which is then delivered; total number of prints of all sizes is typically 75-100. Also possible are family reunion portraits which are similar but entail keeping records of individuals and specific families so proofs can be presented to each one separately (more post-shoot work). I would not do weddings without portable monlights, umbrellas (or softboxes) and stands, and strongly recommend also having portable backdrop(s) with stand. I also recommend considering a minimal medium format SLR system for the formal portraiture. Although nothing usually gets made much larger than an 8x10, there will be few 11x14's, and occasional 16x20's of formal portraiture. Doing the formal portraiture that's most likely to result in requests for "big stuff" using medium format makes the outcome much less risky. The other downside? A successful one works exhausting weekends 9 months a year during the Spring, Summer and Autumn.

Portraiture requires some form of studio unless it is all done on-location (outdoors or otherwise). Within portraiture the largest demand is H.S. seniors with some junior/senior prom and similar products for family groupings, usually around Christmas. There are also opportunities to do on-location portraiture during K-12 father-daughter and/or mother-son dinners at schools. Schools also contract for annual student portraits, and many also contract for group shots of the "Honor Roll" members each semester. Larger companies sometimes need portraits of staff; an example here is a hospital that puts out an annual calendar for the hospital employees that's given to them every Christmas (for the following calendar year). People always need passport photographs, but as I understand it this is not all that profitable. As with weddings I would not do these without portable lights, stands, etc., and a suitable large room to use solely as a studio facility. One friend owns a large, old Victorian house with tall ceilings on the first floor. What used to be the "parlor" just inside the front door is now his studio.

For K-12 sports this entails on-location action shots of junior or juniorette involved in the favorite sports activity. The parent(s) hire you to do this. Opportunities arise to do team photographs if you can get invited to do non-school league sports for K-12 age groups. This entails doing on-location shoots of teams and individual team members with the parent(s) paying for team and individual prints. It can be nearly as efficient as a wedding in doing a shoot, but with many, many more individual customers to deliver the prints to. Collect the money for a "print package" when doing the shoot, not afterward when delivering prints.

Around here I have not seen much demand for commercial, industrial or stock work. It's not that it doesn't exist, but it isn't requested much. Most very large corporations that would have a routine demand for some commercial or industrial work have their own full-time salaried phtographer.

All the full-time staff photojournalists around here are young guys willing to work wierd hours, holidays and weekends for relatively low pay. The job is whenever anything newsworthy occurs.

Fine art is another category that requires work, willingness to invest first without much immediate return, and great patience to break into. It's totally different from other work and exists in a different world outside the other stuff listed.

With most of what I've described, there's also time consumed solely with conducting the business end with filing and organizing negatives, prints, assembling proof books and conducting interviews before a shoot to establish what will be expected plus signing contracts for the work. An independent self-employed pro is a small business with all the attendant business licenses, tax paperwork, etc.

My $.02 (plus) based on observation and opine. Don't want to scare you off; it might be just what you're looking for. Do a thorough business case to understand what (and how long) it takes to start making a profit and keep it from being a losing one.

-- John