Re: [OM] Life style change coming up

Subject: Re: [OM] Life style change coming up
From: Bill Stanke <bstanke@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 11:19:06 -0700
Chuck:

1. Everything Schnozz say, especially the separate checking account.
Deposit all of your business receipts intact to the account, and pay the
business's bill from that account.  If you need to withdraw cash from
the business, write yourself a "draw" check and deposit into your
personal checking account.  If you have to put cash into the business
account to pay the bills, carefully note that it is a "capital
contribution", and not a receipt from a customer.

2. Get a business credit card, or designate a card "for business use
only".  Same idea as the checking account.

3. Consider purchasing QuickBooks, and using it to do the studio's
accounting.  You will need a way to invoice for your services anyway,
and this will make it easy.  There are tons of people out there that can
provide QB assistance.

4.  Investigate if you need to register your "assumed business name" in
your county.  For instance, if you called the studio "AAA Photography",
you should probably be filing a certificate of assumed business name.

5.  Make sure you are in compliance with sales and use tax laws in your
state.  Items purchased by mail-order or Internet frequently do not have
your state's sale tax withheld by the vendor.  You would be subject to
use tax on equipment or material used by the studio.  Use tax is levied
at the same rate as your state's sales tax.  You will need a sales and
use tax identifying number, so you can file the reports, and pay the
tax.

6.  The IRS looks hard at small businesses that have a small amount of
income, and large deductions, especially if the business looks like it
might be "fun".

7.  Carefully document all travel, entertainment, and business use of a
vehicle.  You can get expense logs from Staples or Office Depot to
satisfy the substantiation requirements.  If you are ever audited, the
IRS will look first, longest, and hardest at these areas.

8.  Buy a two-drawer filing cabinet to organize your paperwork.

9.  Resist the urge to pay assistants as "contract labor".  You will
need to file the proper payroll tax reports, and cover the employees
under worker's compensation insurance.

10.  Isn't it great to be in business for yourself?

Bill Stanke