Re: [OM] ( OM ) ever so slightly

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) ever so slightly
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 14:19:47 +1200
Hi

Siddiq wrote

"is that 35mm or LF?"

> >One entry in the August 2002 issue just to hand made me laugh in a rueful
> >sort
> >of way. Tim Fitzharris writes (extract from a new book he has written); for
> >panoramas "Use a small aperture (f/22 or f/32) for sharpness (depth-of-
> >field)
> >that spans the entire picture field"  End of quote. The picture associated
> >with
> >this invaluable piece of advice had nothing to focus on closer than 30 metres
> >(100ft).

 In my opinion, this question misses the point I was trying to make. And to
answer Siddiq's question, Herbert Keppler's associated blurb gives one to
understand that it could be 35mm but not necessarily.

The photo in question, if taken on 35mm, was probably taken using a 50mm
lens or thereabouts. Most 50mm lenses have their sharper resolution at f-
stops between f/5.6 and f/16. Stops of f/22 and f/32 usually have worse
resolution. With a 50mm lens, and the subject situated nearly entirely from
infinity to 100 ft.(30m) as it seemingly was, an f-stop of from f/5.6 to f/16
would have everything (depending on the lens) within the depth-of-field
distance and also be within the range of sharpest resolution f-stops. To
recommend f/22 and f/32, is crazy, in my opinion.

Brian