Re: [OM] [OT] Software for website development

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Software for website development
From: derek fong <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 11:17:38 -0400
On Wednesday, September 4, 2002, at 07:32 AM, Wayne Harridge wrote:

I have got a new PC and find I cannot install the upgrade of
MS-Frontpage I have (due to the fact that I don't have a version to
upgrade from), so I'm looking at purchasing new software for website
development.  I'm running Windows XP.  Does anyone have any
recommendations ?  Should I just hack the HTML directly ?

Hi Wayne,

Being a professional web developer myself, I may be a little biased, but handcoding is definitely the way to go if you want complete control over your content. (I guess that's the same logic we use when using manual cameras...) Basic HTML is really not all that hard to learn (you can learn the basics in about 15 minutes and start building your own web pages within an hour). It's cheaper than buying a commercial package, the HTML pages tend to be smaller (and therefore, quicker to load), and you won't be at a loss in the future if you need to make a quick change to your site but don't have any HTML authoring software around.

If, however, you're willing to splurge on software, I'd recommend Macromedia DreamWeaver. I use it to make quick mockups and it works reasonably well. The resultant code is somewhat bloated, but to a much smaller extent than FrontPage (which is absolutely horrid). It's a got a WYSIWYG interface for designing web pages and it's relatively easy to start using some of the more advanced features of web sites once you get going.

Good luck!

-f

--
Derek Fong
Web Application Developer

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." --James Joyce