Re: [OM] Focus Screen # 12

Subject: Re: [OM] Focus Screen # 12
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 14:13:26 -0700
The crucial thing to remember with this screen is that the cross-hairs must be in sharp focus, using the diopter adjustment on the camera, for the image on film to end up in focus. Unlike conventional screens where a real image is formed on a matte screen, the aerial image of the 1-12 can be in sharp focus through the viewfinder when not actually focused for the film plane. Having both the image and the little lines in the center of the screen in sharp focus at the same time is the only way to assure focus. Oly only recommends this screen for 1:1 macro through micro photography, but I don't know why. The equivalent screen for long teles is the 1-7. I have one of those, and it works quite well. See the eSIF <http://olympus.dementia.org/eSIF/om-sif/findergroup/focusingscreens.htm> for more info on focusing screens.

Moose

Damon Wood wrote:

Hi there Crew. Hope all are well! :)

with my newly attained 4Ti (2 hand with brand new circuitory and a thourough CLA) I interestingly acquired a Screen 12.

From my initial observation, it looked like a screen for Macrophotography - generally because it looked like it magnified and the circular patterns surrounding the 'target' central to the screen for 'easier' focusing.

I hooked up some extension tubes, some magnifying filters ( 4 x ) and my 50 f3.5 and WOW - focusing is so much easier than the standard screen 13!

    * Is there any tips I should know about when using this screen for
      MACRO work (e.g., exposure changes? etc)

Secondly, I also used my 300 4.5 and a 2x converter and the Screen 12 worked a treat for focusing. Tack sharp. Please note I havnt used film yet due to my inexperience and lack of knowledge about the screen.

    * Can this screen be used specifically for telephotography as well
      as macro?
    * If yes, is there any tips I should know about when using this
      screen for TELEPHOTO work (e.g., exposure changes? etc)

I thank all those that are willing to respond to my Qs.

Cheers,

Damo