Re: [OM] New Digital OM nostalgia?

Subject: Re: [OM] New Digital OM nostalgia?
From: plp@xxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 16:26:44 GMT
Cc:
>5050 and DSLR belong to different level and usually they are
>design by different group of people. I work for manufacturing
>for twenty years, when I was in computer and advance electronics
>products manufacturing the company has more than six design
>groups and it was common to have more than one products
>introduce at the same time.

I seriously doubt if different camera groups have their own
marketing depts, ordering & parts systems, support organizations,
sales force, etc.  By the way, I was a software engineer for
over twenty years and worked on the international space station,
among other projects.  I got tired of engineers wanting to only
work on "cool" things, whether we could sell them or not.  I found
it quite amusing that engineers always blamed marketing (and every
one else) for product failures, while marketing usually blamed
engineering for the same failures.  Neither group took the time to
understand the other group.

>For the D1x/D100, confusion only happen to the people just look
>and not intended to buy, anyone look in deep will know the
>different. Just like the age of FA and F3, F90 and F4, F100 and
>F5, the Nikon fans will never be confused.

You should read rec.photo.equipment.35mm sometime.  There are a
*lot* of confused people there, even ones who have posted for a
long time.  If Nikon had unlimited resources, they would release
the D1/D1X and D100 in the same month and eliminate the confusion.
But they do not have unlimited resources, and are forced to leap-
frog these two product families.

Pete