Re: [OM] Dioptic adjustment

Subject: Re: [OM] Dioptic adjustment
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 18:38:28 -0700
Does anybody know of a quick and simple way to set the dioptic adjustment
accurately? I've just got back a test film on a 100/2.8 to find that I
thought I had focused on a target 20ft away but was actually focused closer
to the 30ft mark <gulp>.

This is all down to age and beer I'm afraid so getting the adjustment right
is needed but the manual (page A-46) that I have is not very helpfull.

All and any help will be very welcome.

regards
Ian

Ian

Many of us are dealing with age and seeing problems.

The usual method to adjust diopter is to remove the lens or body cap
from the camera.  Then, looking toward the light through the
viewfinder, adjust the diopter nob until the detail in the viewfinder
is at its sharpest.  You know that you have to pull the little knob
out before turning it?

If your vision lies outside of the range of adjustment you may need
eyeglasses, or new ones.

The way the viewfinder works you are unlikely to find a sharp focus
point different than that of the lens.  However if your vision is
blurred enough you may not be aware of when focus is achieved.
Sometimes that is what is happening when people keep cranking the
focus back and forth. They are going from blurry to really blurry and
trying to guess the middle point of the least blurry range.

Winsor
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California