Shift Lenses - was [OM] Hiking Advice

Subject: Shift Lenses - was [OM] Hiking Advice
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 20:18:10 -0500
At 20:56 8/21/02, Winsor Crosby wrote:

If you can resist tilting a very wide angle lens upwards I don't think you need a shift lens. There are very few parallel lines in a natural environment. It depends on whether you want much foreground in the picture. I think foreground anchors the picture. Level 21, 24, 28mm lenses will take superb pictures.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California

This might be acceptable if you're willing to live with the necessity to crop, limited enlargement and the associated costs. Cropping requires custom lab work unless one owns their own darkroom. Having custom prints made is very expensive, even small 4x6's. The same size "commercial" prints which are done the same way, using the same print materials, without any cropping, dodging or burning are much less expensive. In addition, if one is after large prints, it limits maximum print size because a smaller negative is being used. As a result of cost and desire to maximize print size, I prefer doing ***everything*** in camera. Hence, the use of a shift lens when it enables achieving a visualization using a full film frame.

-- John