Re: [OM] Hiking Advice

Subject: Re: [OM] Hiking Advice
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 15:16:57 -0700
on 8/21/02 10:39 AM, W.Xato at xato0@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I'm hiking to the bottom of the Grand Canyon at the
> end of September (two days, from the North Rim,
> camping with tents provided, and then up to the South
> Rim on the second day) and wonder what advice the
> group might have on what to carry.  The minimum would
> be water and sunscreen but I must take photos.
>
> I was thinking of taking the Pentax 645 with 45mm and
> 120mm lens with a Velbon CF640 and Acratech head. But
> then on the other hand I have an embarrasingly
> complete OM system: one of almost each body (except
> the OM-3Ti) and 16mm through 300 lens.  What to take?
> I was thinking 21/3.5, 28/2, 50/3.5 and 100/2.8 and
> OM-3 and OM-4T.  I would be shooting Velvia and Pan F.
> This should still weigh less than the Pentax stuff.
>
> Thanks,
> Warren
>
> =====
> Warren Xato

Remember you have to *carry* all this stuff 5000+ feet down and then 5000+
feet back up again... over how many miles I don't know. Light is better. The
OM stuff will yield good enough pictures unless you're planning on really
big enlargements... I would consider taking a long lens and/or a 2X-A as
well. Maybe a 135/2.8 and the 2X-A. Also another wide angle, either a 24/2.8
or a 35/2.8. Maybe even consider that as the 'normal' lens for this hike...
Take lots of film, no stores -in- the canyon, and consider a small flash for
'around the campfire, in the tent' shots. The tripod could be handy for
evening sunset/twilight shots... Sounds like a fun trip, though.
--

Jim Brokaw