Re: [OM] Hiking Advice

Subject: Re: [OM] Hiking Advice
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 12:44:32 -0700
I'm hiking to the bottom of the Grand Canyon at the
end of September (two days, from the North Rim,
camping with tents provided, and then up to the South
Rim on the second day) and wonder what advice the
group might have on what to carry.  The minimum would
be water and sunscreen but I must take photos.

I was thinking of taking the Pentax 645 with 45mm and
120mm lens with a Velbon CF640 and Acratech head. But
then on the other hand I have an embarrasingly
complete OM system: one of almost each body (except
the OM-3Ti) and 16mm through 300 lens.  What to take?
I was thinking 21/3.5, 28/2, 50/3.5 and 100/2.8 and
OM-3 and OM-4T.  I would be shooting Velvia and Pan F.
This should still weigh less than the Pentax stuff.

Thanks,
Warren

=====
Warren Xato

That is not an easy hike. If you have not already been hiking a lot
this summer I would recommend several weekend conditioning hikes
wearing the boots and carrying the weight you plan for the Grand
Canyon. It is embarrassing and expensive to be flown out.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California

?