Re: [OM] Best way to remove stuck motor drive cap on OM-2

Subject: Re: [OM] Best way to remove stuck motor drive cap on OM-2
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 14:56:53 -0700
on 8/21/02 12:21 PM, Dan Lau at dlau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Aug 2002 11:47, dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I'd take off the bottom plate
>> (4 little cross-point screws, not phillips) to see clearly what's going
>> on inside.
>
>> Moose
>
> Moose, what do you mean by "cross-point screws, not phillips"?
> I believe in the US, most "cross-point" screws are called
> Phillips screws.  You are not implying that a special tool is
> needed (other than a small Phillops screw driver) to remove
> the bottom plate, are you?  Confused mind wants to know.
> -Dan

Cross-point screws are *different* than Phillips screws! The slots are
shaped differently depthwise and there is a sharp meeting in the middle,
without the relief of a Phillips screw. Therefore a Phillips screwdriver
fits badly in a crosspoint screw, and easily slips damaging the screw...
then it becomes difficult to remove even with the proper screwdriver.
Unfortunately the proper crosspoint drivers are much harder to find (and
more expensive) that the 'jewelry screwdriver' sets with Phillips tips.
Micro Tools (www.micro-tools.com) sells them, but they aren't cheap...
--

Jim Brokaw