Re: [OM] Best way to remove stuck motor drive cap on OM-2

Subject: Re: [OM] Best way to remove stuck motor drive cap on OM-2
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 14:49:55 -0700
on 8/21/02 11:26 AM, derek fong at fong@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I recently began shooting photos again with my OM-2.  However, in the
> process of inspecting it, I remembered that when I had bought it used a few
> years ago, the salesman had had trouble removing the motor drive cover.
> After several attempts of my own, I have decided to give up before I strip
> away more of the metal.  Although I don't really plan on using a motor drive
> in the near future, it's bothering me now that it may no longer be an option
> for me.  I had considered spraying a tiny bit of WD-40 to see if that would
> loosen it up, but I have my reservations about that.
>
> Can anyone suggest possible courses of action?  Thanks!
>
> -f
>

> --
> Derek Fong
> Web Application Developer
> subtitle designs inc. <http://www.subtitled.com/>
>
> "Mistakes are the portals of discovery." --James Joyce
>>> GPG key/fingerprint available upon request <<

OM-2 motor drive cover is a bayonet fitting... there are internal flanges
and notches in the cover and camera body. On the cover you should see a
small dimple or dot. There should be a similiar dimple or dot near the motor
drive cover on the base of the camera. When these two dimples are aligned
the cover flanges interlock is released. The cover and baseplate are both
brass, so its possible that there could be corrosion sticking them together.
If so, you will probably see some signs of blue-green corrosion around the
cover.

On my OM-2n the camera-body dimple is at about 3 o'clock when the camera is
on its back, base towards you, lens in the air. The cover's dimple is then
at about 5 o'clock with the cover installed. The cover has a shallow slot
with a curved bottom, a US 5-cent piece fits the slot well and gives a good
grip for turning. Be gentle, the covers are no longer available from
Olympus, and a supplier of aftermarket covers of very good quality gets $16+
for them...
--

Jim Brokaw