Re: [OM] Hi-Lo Kit

Subject: Re: [OM] Hi-Lo Kit
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 18:36:12 -0700

I started out with an OM-2S, 35/2.8 and 100/2.8.  I bought and
sold a lot of equipment through the years, but these two lenses
remain my favorites and most used lenses.  I'd still consider
these two as the preferred "low kit" in my book.

-snip

Don't be afraid of "Low-end" kits.  Go for a handful of
dirt-cheap lenses in multiples of focal lengths and fill the
gaps later.  28mm lenses (or 35mm) make good first-time
wide-angles.  A 50mm lens is usually pretty cheap and will be a
money making lens, but typically doesn't inspire creative
photography too much.  A 100mm is an excellent telephoto for the
beginner, but you may never outgrow it.

AG-Schnozz

We really are fortunate equipment-wise, but looking back I think some
of my best pictures were taken when photography was new  to me and I
was very enthusiastic using a rangefinder and mostly a 35 and and a
90.  William Malloch, the composer, said one time that we own too
many records.  You need to own one or two records and listen to them
a lot if you want to really understand music.  The same might be said
about film, camera and lens.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California