Re: [OM] film apocalypse

Subject: Re: [OM] film apocalypse
From: Damon Wood <deewhy_au@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 11:40:38 +1000 (EST)

  Robert Gries <rgg@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have often wondered about a time when all film has been removed from
the earth in favor of telepathic projection, what lenses and/or bodies
would I keep that demonstrate the true genius of the OM system. This
comes partly from the recent discussion on "perfect" kits, and what-not,
but what equipment did Olympus design that you feel truly represent the
system (i.e. small, light weight, easy to use, etc.)?

Robert,

my personal view:

OMs and Zuiko's were and still are what they always originally meant to
be....., innovative, stylish, sexy, timeless, simple (although in those days
the system was way ahead of its time), extensive and accessory compatible (for
over 20 years), rugged and a system of complete quality. Maybe on could say a
system for the purist?

Furthermore, it was and in some respects still is (for 35mm) in a league of
it's own. For this reason it comes back to the small, light weight, easy to use
functions. Plus for such an experienced company in other fields of optics and
medical technologies, their quality is something to be aspired to.

Believe it or not, the original OM1 and F.Zuiko quality is about as close to
German makes than any other (Contax, Pentax and N**** etc are also up there!).
They carried this on right throught the system (excluding non-system makes like
OM10-40). Ive even heard the original OM1's internals were all polished by
hand.

There are a few quams about the system, but they are nothing to lose sleep
over.

When Im on the street or in the park with my OM gear, Im dammned proud of it.

Chow,

Damon