Re: [OM] Hi-Lo Kit

Subject: Re: [OM] Hi-Lo Kit
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 09:54:36 -0700 (PDT)
>I'll ask you Stupid question #678 while the helicopters have
you
>distracted: how would a 50/1.4 with a 2X convertor compare to a
>100/2.8?  I'm assuming less resolution and contrast, which
>*could* be an advantage for portrait work. Hmmm...

Several factors come into play here:
#1, the Zuiko 2X won't work with the 50/1.4
#2, the 50/1.4 isn't sharp enough to multiply
#3, the Bokeh goes to pot on you.

You can always put a brand-x multiplier on a 50mm lens, but it
doesn't make it a 100mm lens.  It's a 50mm image magnified. This
point is a bit subtle, but it is a critical difference to the
resulting image.  A true 100mm lens and a 50mm/2x lens
combination produces different pictures.

Why?  The difference isn't always apparent for normal
pictures--say landscapes where you have gobs of DOF.  But start
screwing the focus ring out a bit for close up or macro shots.
The difference becomes night and day.  This is one reason why
zoom lenses rarely have as pleasing Bokeh as a well designed
prime. Some zooms essentially have a variable multiplier behind
a prime design.

Take a 50mm lens, a 2X multiplier and 25mm of extension tubes.
For your first experiment, place the multiplier between the lens
and the tubes--you have the equivelent of a 100mm lens extended
25mm giving you a 1:4 magnification.  The Bokeh will be similar
to that of a 100mm lens on 25mm of extension.  For your second
experiment, place the extension tubes between the lens and the
multiplier--you have the equivelent of a 1:1 magnification. But
most importantly, you have taken a 50mm lens, used extension to
get to half-lifesize and then magnified the image.  If you used
less extension to maintain a 1:4 magnification you would still
see a huge difference in the pictures.

The Vivitar 2X/Macro converter is an interesting beast.  It
extends the lens and then multiplies.  This gives it greater
magnification at the expense of working distance and Bokeh.

Personally, I've always preferred working distance and Bokeh
over magnification.  I like my 50/3.5 macro lens, and it does a
fantastic job, but the pictures taken with my 100/2.8 on
extension tubes are far more asthetically pleasing (and sell!).

So, in a nutshell, 2X multipliers have their place, but I'd
rather use them on telephoto lenses WHEN NECESSARY and forget
trying to use them to avoid carrying a 100mm or 200mm lens.

We praise the manner in which our lenses create a 3D-ish image
on film.  That's a function of the lens design. Why spoil it.

AG-Schnozz