Re: [OM] Digital Plastic (going *way* OT now...)

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital Plastic (going *way* OT now...)
From: Mike Veglia <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 13:57:11 -0700
Don't get me wrong, I love old classic cars--they make great garage queens
and vintage race cars. Ironically, none of my three cars are less than 145k
miles old, and two of them are over 16 model years old. I find all three
very easy to maintain and service myself (all three are computer
controlled--2 are old CIS and one is digital Motronic). Much like
microprocessors, those who change black boxes often do so out of desperation
and lack of troubleshooting knowledge--go for changing the unknown first and
all. Barring a few notable exceptions, black boxes tend to be quite
reliable. Engines that get as close to perfect combustion as possible last
vastly longer--all else being equal. A great case in point was the last
Volvo wagon my wife had--a 1985. A nameless dealer changed every black box
for the previous owner to the tune of ~$3000.00. Then the car was finally
fixed by a good independent technician who replaced the rotten engine wiring
loom (a known problem with 1982 - 1987 Volvos). With the help of internet
mail lists (like this one for OMs) a decent assortment of tools, and some
technical savvy, one can self maintain a modern car quite well. BTW, in my
area mechanics get $85-100 per hour. If you bring them something with points
and carbs, be prepared to pay for extra time. Any wonder why I do my own
work? ;-)

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com