Re: [OM] Digital Plastic (going *way* OT now...)

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital Plastic (going *way* OT now...)
From: "Lee Penzias" <l_penzias@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 04:33:40 -0500

----Original Message Follows----
From: Mike Veglia <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
In a message dated 7/11/2002 Lee Penzias writes:

<< The latter I have now reduced to all pre-1979s. They have carbs, coils, alternators, batteries, voltage regulators etc - and when they do have problems - are very cheap to get running again. >>

Uh, new cars have coils, batteries, and voltage regulators too--this has
nothing to do with fuel management.

[MIKE ..... Right. But they do not require the services of a $50/hour technician and pricey machines to diagnose and change. Simply check for spark - then fuel. A carb rebuild kit is cheaper than dirt compared to the cost of many computerized fuel system units. LEE]
-------------------------
<< Often I can actaully do it myself. >>

So do I. In fact, I find it much easier to fix the occasional CIS or
Motronic hiccup than I ever did dealing with carbs, *especially* those smog kludged carbs of the dreaded 1970s--the worst years of cars from any automaker come from then--gag.

Add to that all the aging and decaying wiring, relays, etc. you need to keep up with--not going there, sorry.

[MIKE - funny my aging and decaying wiring hasn't stopped any vehicles of mine in over 25 years. Coils, yes. Alternators yes. Batteries? Yes. Starter motors? Yes. Ignition points? Yes. Voltage regulators? Yes - and they were all an easy, cheap fix. Decaying wiring? No. Most common stoppages I see? Black boxes of all kinds - fuel and ignition - and electric locks. Makes me laugh when people parade around flourishing their little black boxes with keys attached (usually with a cellphone glued to one ear)- and all of a sudden the doors won't open - or the thing *won't crank*. Dead in the water. And they always cost people a fortune to get towed, diagnosed and fixed ;)]
--------------------
<< It's towing bills, "diagnostic" charges, the price of little "black
boxes", miscellaneous fittings, and the "labor" charges to supply & fit
them, that I avoid. For what many spend to get the "EFI" fuel systems fixed I can get a good salvaged transmission fitted - or rebuilt motor. >>

Accuracy of the air-fuel mixture combined with accurate spark and good knock sensing (e.g. proper modern engine management) is exactly why modern car engines last for up to 3-4 times longer than those from the era you seem attached to...

[MIKE: "Era"? There are some motors that go a long way due to their mechanical design, engineering and fabrication and some that do not. The new modern "managed" engines will not last any longer than those before. I see the same steady stream of late 1990's cars going to the scrapyards, and see no reason not to expect to see the 2k wonders follow them to the early graves too.]

Don't get me wrong, I love classic cars (make mine a Carrera RSK Spyder or Ferrari Dino) but modern fuel and ignition management systems do nothing but make cars vastly more reliable, easier to diagnose (with proper tools and training...

[MIKE: my "era" perhaps is called "user serviceability". Not this continual drain on my wallet because of the opposite trend.]

.... and most important of all, much better for the environment *and* more fun to drive all at the same time. From a driver's perspective I would much rather drive something like newer 911SC or Carrera vs an old carburated 911 (which I have owned and still miss very much).

[......I'd be happy on a weekend run driving any of a long list of carb'd sportscars - many predating the 911s.]

There really is nothing wrong with accepting technological advances,
especially in things automotive. Let's see...Audi R8 or Winston Cup stock car...hmm. The former (with modern fuel and ignition management systems)can go in excess of 10,000 KM running at insane speeds between teardowns, and do so efficiently, the later (with "carbs and coils") can barely last 1,000 km, makes vastly less hp/liter, and is totally inefficient by modern standards).

[I had a Dodge Dart 225 c.i. 6-cyl that I drove all over europe for the longest time without even an oil change or anything else. Wouldn't like to even guess how many miles. I added gas, ocasionally oil, and very little else. I'd bet Dodge regretted producing so many of those great little cars. One of these days I am going to grab another one of those too ;) Cheers, LEE]

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com