Re: [OM] "poor-quality" plastic cameras

Subject: Re: [OM] "poor-quality" plastic cameras
From: "John Cwiklinski" <plinkochips@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 17:26:42 -0700
William wrote:

<<
I invite any reader to try the same thing with a Nikon F, Olympus OM, etc, and let us know what happens. (No? If metal cameras are so rugged, why are you afraid of dropping one 3' onto an asphalt surface?) Plastic withstands all sorts of abuse that would severely damage a metal-bodied camera.
<<

I have inadvertently dropped (actually kicked) an OM camera from a high school gym bleachers. Sure, it made alot of noise, people stared at me, etc. As it was going down, my thought was on the circuitry, not the mechanical. (Still works great, today) The D100 is not professional and is based on the Nikon N80 body (I believe), whereas the D1X is still considered the pro version. Both take the majority of Nikon's SLR lenses. I'm not sure what the intent of your post is. I don't think I would go out and buy any camera just to do a drop test. I think I'd rather use it for its designed purpose, taking photos.
As always, my 0.02 USD.

John Cwiklinski