Re: [OM] "poor-quality" plastic cameras

Subject: Re: [OM] "poor-quality" plastic cameras
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 20:47:52 -0300
> Plastic is popular because, if it's of the right quality and used
correctly,
> it's a better structural material for cameras than metal. You might not
like
> that (I don't like it, myself), but it's true.
>
> Plastic also allows a tiny body with complex innards. That tiny
> auto-focusing/zoom-lens camera you tuck into your shirt pocket would be
> virtually impossible to manufacture if it were made of metal.
>
> About seven years ago I was getting out of my car, holding an IS-10 in my
> left hand. The neckstrap caught on the steering wheel and the camera was
> pulled from my hand. I watched it in slow motion (!!!) as it hit the
asphalt
> and bounced.

. (No? If metal cameras are so rugged, why are
> you afraid of dropping one 3' onto an asphalt surface?) Plastic withstands
> all sorts of abuse that would severely damage a metal-bodied camera.

As far as the body of the camera is concerned, the right kind of plastic
will likely stand more of an impact and remain undamaged, than will metal.
Just witness the number of cameras on eb*y which have a dent somewhere.
(Also notice how severly even a small dent affects the selling price) The
other question is, which ones "innards", all the watch-like moving parts and
glass, etc.,  are least affected by impact? The lighter a camera is, the
less it will be affected in a drop, so plastic has a little advantage there.
But I sincerely doubt there is much difference. I would avoid buying any
camera that I knew had been dropped. I have never dropped any of my cameras,
metal or plastic, at least not yet, but fully expect when I do it shall be
history if it hits cement or a hard floor.
There are other hazards to consider I suppose, other than impact, such as
heat, or age (will plastic become brittle? I remember the ads for "final
vinyl" siding, yeah right), or someone sitting on it, etc. On the other
hand, using plastic has likely brought down the price to where you can
replace the camera as cheaply as having to pay for a metal one in the first
place.

my 2 cents cdn. worth,
Wayne