Re: [OM] "poor-quality" plastic cameras

Subject: Re: [OM] "poor-quality" plastic cameras
From: T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 01:51:09 +0200 (CEST)
On Wed, 10 Jul 2002, William Sommerwerck wrote:

<SNIP>

> About seven years ago I was getting out of my car, holding an IS-10 in my
> left hand. The neckstrap caught on the steering wheel and the camera was
> pulled from my hand. I watched it in slow motion (!!!) as it hit the asphalt
> and bounced.
>
> There were some tiny marks, but the camera was otherwise undamaged, and
> continued to operate reliably for another three years.
>
> I invite any reader to try the same thing with a Nikon F, Olympus OM, etc,
> and let us know what happens. (No? If metal cameras are so rugged, why are
> you afraid of dropping one 3' onto an asphalt surface?) Plastic withstands
> all sorts of abuse that would severely damage a metal-bodied camera.

Hmm...I remember seeing some pro do that trick with his Canon EOS 1 a
while back. I do not know how much of that camera is really plastic, but I
do remember helping him pick up the pieces (most of which were plastic,
but at parts of his lens was glass..) for his insurrance company. Then
again, the EOS 1 is not a new camera, so probably less strong materials
were used then.

I dunno - just felt like telling this lil' anecdote :)

  Thomas Heide Clausen
  Civilingeniør i Datateknik (cand.polyt)
  M.Sc in Computer Engineering

  E-Mail: T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx