Re: [OM] how would you design *YOUR* OM-X?

Subject: Re: [OM] how would you design *YOUR* OM-X?
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2002 12:51:31 -0700
Maybe someone could to introduce something more potent than a CLA, sort of like 'specing' an engine, a complete tear down and rebuild, maybe with a couple of custom parts in key places. Hey, how about titanium shutter curtains, then maybe one-up the Nik*n Fs with woven carbon fiber shutter and meter cords. Oooohhh, carbon fiber top and titanium bottom plates - labeled OM-1n-CFxTi. :-D

Probably wouldn't work any better or last longer than than the first option, but it sure would cost more and look cooler - the perfect toy for the Zuikoholic who already has one or more of everything. And here I thought I was safe from that kind of insanity 'cause I don't like rangefinders and am thus immune to Leica fever. Which Morgan Sparks leathers go with a CF top ;-) ?

Doesn't careful selection of a high serial number (how high did they go?), low usage 1n and a CLA from one of our experts accomplish the same thing for all practical purposes? And for waaaaayyy less money.

Moose

Winsor Crosby wrote:

What you really should do is to join in on the petition to get John and Clint to start hand-building OM1's :)..........

Leica did this when they reintroduced the M4 years ago. Collected up the spare parts and assembled new cameras for sale. Makes for a pricey camera and you have to have the parts.

However, if someone did it they would probably lose their shirts. How many people on this enthusiast's list will buy even modestly priced new Oly stuff even now as it disappears forever. Ready to buy a hand built OM 1 for five or six thousand dollars?