Re: [OM] New to list - and light travel kit

Subject: Re: [OM] New to list - and light travel kit
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2002 18:06:56 -0500
At 12:09 7/8/02, John Peterson wrote:
Hi, I'm new to this list, I have searched the archives
(those that are indexed that is) but I still got some
questions regarding some Zuikos.

A few weeks ago I inherited an OM-4T with a 50mm 1,8
and a 28mm 2,8. This seems like a really nice
camerasystem and I now want to put together a small
travel kit.

The OM-4T is the pinacle of the electronic shutter OM SLR development. You have a very fine camera body with some excellent features. The center-weighted metering is not easily "fooled" by odd lighting conditions.

I think I will sell the 28mm and buy a 24mm 2,8, and a
100mm 2,8. I've seen good prices on the 100mm, but the
24mm seems quite expensive.

The 24mm lenses are more expensive than the 28's (for same lens speed and condition). They are also unforgiving with perspective and must be used with greater care when working around (or in) man-made structures. The "break point" for forgiveness in this regard is the 28mm focal length. With that in mind, you might consider the following combination of three lenses which all use 55mm filter rings:
  24/2
  35-105/3.5~4.5
  135/2.8

At the least, keep the 50mm prime as a "body cap." A little more expensive, but it covers a wide range. The 35-105 also has a "close-up" feature that engages the equivalent of about 5mm of extension tube. Doesn't allow "true" macros, but does get it closer. It is also surprisingly contrasty with excellent resolution for a 3X zoom with about a dozen elements. This is a "walk-around" combination I use when camera bag size and weight are primary considerations. There isn't much that cannot be done with it.

Study the Zuiko lens system a little more and continue planning for what you eventually want. Then build it one lens at a time as you can afford it. Don't skimp on the glasswork. The OM-4T will provide you with excellent capabilities and flexibility, especially with some of its metering features, but don't forget that all the light passes through the lens to get to the film. The lenses are more important than the camera body they're mounted on.

-- John