Re: [OM] New to list - and light travel kit

Subject: Re: [OM] New to list - and light travel kit
From: T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 20:19:33 +0200 (CEST)
On Mon, 8 Jul 2002, Tom Scales wrote:

> Welcome to the OM family!
>
> You inherited a very nice kit and will  thoroughly enjoy it.

I Absoultely Agree :)

<SNIP>

> The 100/2.8 and 135/2.8 both have smooth boken, but personally I think the
> 100/2.8 is 'smoother'.  It's a more useful portrait lens too. Most
> importantly, the 135/2.8 takes 55mm filters (the 135/3.5 uses 49mm) while
> the 100/2.8 takes 49mm.

And of the 100/2.8 and the 135/3.5, I would - no doubt - use the
100/2.8. It's more "sharp" and "contrasty", in my subjective evaluation
(although by no means a bad lens).

> Others to consider are the 75-150/4 zoom and the
> 85/2 both of which use 49mm filters.

Ohyeah, Tom, as usual you hit right on. See if you can get your hands on
an 85/2.0. It is a great little lens - wasn't that what was named "the
unsung hero of the OM system"???? I think I would pick thatone over the
100/2.8, actually.

I'd be more reluctant to consider the zoom - in general, I am not too fond
of zoom-lenses, but that's probably just me :)

Of course, the zuikoholic answer would be to "get them all" :)

> For now, I'd just shoot, shoot, shoot!

Again, I couldn't agree more with Tom. The two lenses you have are
actually both very very good performers. Use them a lot, to get a feel for
what you can do with them. You'd be surprised to find that "almost
everything" will be your experience.

Regards

--thomas

> Thanks,
>
> Tom
>
> > Hi, I'm new to this list, I have searched the archives
> > (those that are indexed that is) but I still got some
> > questions regarding some Zuikos.
> >
> > I used to own a Canon SLR with three zoom-lenses, but
> > now I use a Canon G2 (digital) and sold all my
> > SLR-equipment.
> >
> > A few weeks ago I inherited an OM-4T with a 50mm 1,8
> > and a 28mm 2,8. This seems like a really nice
> > camerasystem and I now want to put together a small
> > travel kit.
> >
> > I think I will sell the 28mm and buy a 24mm 2,8, and a
> > 100mm 2,8. I've seen good prices on the 100mm, but the
> > 24mm seems quite expensive.
> >
> > And finally to the question :-)
> > The 135mm 2,8 looks good too, but how is it compared
> > to the 100 2,8? (Photos with out-of-focus backgrounds
> > would be nice)
> >
> > Filter-dimension are semi-important because I use a
> > lot of filters and I would like all my lenses to
> > accept 49mm filters.

  Thomas Heide Clausen
  Civilingeniør i Datateknik (cand.polyt)
  M.Sc in Computer Engineering